Monday, October 20, 2014

Time to head overseas...

Wow, I can't imagine what more is going through Herb's head now that he is heading overseas. Scary with the thought of the German submarines firing at them. Wikipedia has a bit about the ship here. According to the Wiki page, she was used to transport troops starting in May 1916...

Harry is up to something else... he seems a bit flighty to me.

Wednesday, Jan. 8th
Dear Mother,

Well, things have happened fast and furious in the past day or so. I thought the danger of our going was not very immediate but I guess I fooled myself.

Yesterday morning we had orders to pack up everything we owned in our barracks bags, and turn in our cots. In the afternoon we had inspection, at midnight we had lunch and at 2:15 A.M. this morning we left Allentown in two trains. Not a word was said as to where we were going and we were not allowed to write and say we were going. At 6:15 this morning we arrived in Jersey City. We transferred our baggage to a ferry boat and came to where we are now – Pier 54 North River – the Cunard Line. I am now in the steerage of the Carmania bound for Liverpool. This letter is to be left behind to be mailed after we get well away. The Carmania I learn has made many trips since the war. She is a medium sized boat and quite fast. She has had several brushes with U boats and has sunk two. That’s all pact though as we will go under a strong convoy. Since the explosion at Halifax they’re not sending these ships up there to be convoyed. The convoy meets them outside New York.

So far things have moved so fast that I don’t know yet whether I am scared or not. I don’t think I am. I’m glad though that we are off to England – I think that may mean that we’ll ultimately go to Italy rather than France. I hope so – conditions there are much better.

I hope Harry gets fixed up all right on that tip that Hawkinson gave him. Sorry I shan’t be around to help.

Frankly I don’t expect to be gone very long. Peace looks pretty promising to me – and I’m not sorry. Any way don’t worry about me, Mother. The subs have never gotten a troop ship yet and I never expect to see the front line trenches.

Love to all,
Herbert

What my address will be I don’t know. I’ll write + tell you first opportunity

No comments:

Post a Comment