Saturday, October 18, 2014

In to 1918....

A cold winter in New York City - scarce coal....


December 3, 1917 [sic]
January 3, 1918

Dear Mother,

This will be an awfully brief letter. Not that I’m pressured for time but there’s nothing to write about.

I’m afraid that Allan Norton scared his people unnecessarily because I can see no immediate prospects of our leaving here. It more as though we might be in Allentown till the end of the war to me.

It’s still very cold but I guess I must be accustomed to it by now because I don’t mind it much. My cold has entirely gone now and I’m taking good care not to catch any more.
There is so much snow and ice that there are no drills and the men are pretty restless for lack of something to do. Of course, as clerk I am fairly busy now and again but the rest of the men have almost nothing to do from one week’s end to another, barring guard duty, sanitary police and kitchen duty, which don’t come very often. The rest of the time they play cards, write letters, read and hang around and it’s pretty dull work.

I had a nice letter from Chas yesterday telling me some of the news around the shop and wishing me a Happy New Year. He and Grace have had a hard time getting coal and a couple of weeks ago even thought they might have to take rooms in the city for the winter. As it was they did have to stay in the city for a week because they had no coal at all. When they returned they found the plumbing all busted up from freezing. Chas has been very busy working most every night. He told me to be sure to stop with them the next time I’m over. I hope I shall be able to make it.

Love to all,
Herb

No comments:

Post a Comment