Monday, May 26, 2014

Jumping to March 1917

Let me begin by wishing everyone a very happy Memorial Day.

I have been transcribing letters like mad. They are not in order and many do not have envelopes or dates, so a guessing game ensues. This letter I have assumed to be early March based on research in the NY Times archives about the Bronx Building and Loan and Herb's mention of Spring - that's an obvious clue. This is the earliest letter I have come across so far, so no mention of enlisting at this time - just a dutiful son updating his mother on his comings and goings at his job in New York City away from his immediate family up in Troy, but in the hometown of his father's family, the Lees.

I found an article in the NY Times Archives dated March 11, 1917 about the investors - depositors in this case - losing $100,000 to 'peculations'. I had never heard that word before, but one can assume what it means and dictionary.com indicates: to steal or take dishonestly (money, especially public funds, or property entrusted to one's care); embezzle. I couldn't attach the article because it is a PDF, but trust me when I say it was a moment of elation when I found the article, to learn about what he was referring to and to get a specific date in time to place the letter in the sequence of Sunday letters home.

From all of my transcribing and consulting my family tree I have figured out who some of the people Herb is gossiping/talking about. I believe that Jane Parker may be the sister to Russell Parker who is first cousin Edith's husband. Edith is Charles' sister and daughter to Ida. The wedding to which Herb refers is that of Grace Hughson and Charles. It's so rewarding when Herb mentions something by name - in this case Banker's Trust, Charles' employer.

Herb's description of Hasbrouk Heights is pretty great, too. So many mysteries solved in this letter alone.

Dad Reece - though I believe it may be spelled Rees - is Aunt Ida's second husband. She was widowed quite young from her first husband, John Cornell, a butcher in New York City. John and Ida Rees live in Huntington on Long Island and John describes himself in the 1920 Federal Census as a poultry man on a private estate. (Might Ida and Mr. Rees have met through her first husband's employment as a butcher? Tantalizing to speculate.) Edith and her husband Russell seem to be having some marital trouble and I believe they eventually divorce, as she describes herself divorced in the 1930 Federal Census. In 1915 Russell is a stage manager; in 1920 a actor in theatricals and by 1925 he describes himself as a movie actor. Has Edith headed home to Mom/Ida because Russell is on the road? Doesn't sound like he is taking good care of his wife and two children, Howard and Ruth....

Herb attended 3 years at Syracuse University and was obviously a member of Phi Delta Theta. The boys in Brooklyn were some of his fraternity brothers.


Sunday (Sometime in early March 1917)
Dear Mother + all,

I was of course delighted to hear that you are all pretty well again. It’s been a nasty winter, take it by and large and I guess we are all pretty glad that Spring is coming.

I got my shirt all right – on Tuesday I think it was. It’s a peach, Mother. I like it awfully well. Many thanks.

Tuesday we went over to call on Jane Parker. I had a very nice time. We played cards a while + chewed about the wedding.

Did you happen to read in the New York papers about the Building + Loan Association here in the Bronx that went to smash (?). Mr. Hughson had about eight hundred dollars in it, Grace had a couple of hundred + Mabel + Bess Elmore each had some about three hundred between them I think. The funny thing was that Charlie has been after Grace to take hers out for some time. She had at last been persuaded and next month she was going to give it to Charlie to put in the Employees Special account at Banker’s Trust where it would have drawn nine per cent.

Charlie + Grace haven’t been able to find a house that they could afford or wanted anywhere so they have pretty well decided on a six room apartment over in Jersey City. I haven’t seen it but they both are quite enthusiastic. It’s a new apartment – not yet completed – and is in a strictly residential section on the heights on the west side of the town – with a nice view of the open country. From there into Wall Street is only about a thirty minute ride which isn’t bad at all.

Charlie + Grace went to Huntington to day to stay until to-morrow. Aunt Ida is pretty well now I guess but still a bit weak. Edith is in town again. She and the kids are staying with John while she hunts for a flat. Charlie + I were up to see them Friday night. I wouldn’t mention it if I were you but Dad Reece thinks that Russell ought to be made to feel the responsibility of his position and support her. I think he’s right too. If Russell isn’t forced to come through now when he’s making good money he may get the idea fastened tight in his head that he doesn’t have to support his family.

There wasn’t anything to worry about in Mr. Friedman’s wanting to talk to me, mother. We just went out to lunch together at his invitation so we could eat and chew the rag together peacefully. That’s a common habit in Wall Street. I’m confident that he thinks pretty well of me.

I don’t think there’s any reason for worrying a great deal about the rail road strike. The mail trains would undoubtedly be run under government orders + if the food gives out I’ll walk home.

I’m glad Harry is satisfied with his work.

Do you suppose he could lend me about fifteen dollars in a month or so. I really need a new suit myself + I can’t save any money for it, because I need a new hat + new shoes even worse. I’ve got to look up + coming when I go around to the other offices interviewing some pretty substantial men sometimes when I am hunting information. If he can let me have it I can get on my feet all right, I’ll appreciate it.

As ever,
Herb

I’m going over this afternoon to see the boys in Brooklyn. I haven’t seen them I a month. I had an invitation to the annual Phi Delt Banquet at the Onondaga March 31st. I suppose they think I’m prosperous by now.



This photograph was a picture my cousin Chuck attached to his tree on ancestry which I copied back in September of last year. He had it labeled as Ida Rees and the Lees. Looking closely, and having found some photographs of my own which were labeled, I believe I can identify some of the people. Here's my attempt:
Unknown man (could this be Mr. Doring?), unknown woman (could this be Ida?), Nellie Jane Kirkpatrick Lee, Aunt Burdella (or is she Ida?)
Margaret Lee, Olive Lee, Burdella

Let me attach the photographs for my readers to review to see if you think I am correct with my guess of the people.

Labeled Aunt Berdella, Margaret and Olive


Margaret Lee and Berdella


Nellie Jane, Oliver and Herb - June 15th, 1930, so 15 years roughly after these letters were written, though this photograph shows Nellie Jane in a manner to compare with the unlabeled photograph.

4 comments:

  1. I'm fairly certain that the woman in the upper row on the right is Ida. There was 33 years difference in age between Ida and Olive. If that young girl in the middle is Olive at I would guess in her teens then Ida must be there on the right. The man is probably John S. Rees her husband at the time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmmmm. Guess what, i now have a copy of this photograph, too; either it was amongst Olive's things, or cousin Marti sent a copy to me - in either case it is unlabeled. BUT, with that being said, i now wonder if the man is Oliver. I have some other photos of Oliver with dark hair.... However, if that is Mr. Rees, then I need to look over some other photographs I have, because i think he shows up a number of times and my photography software is not doing a good job of identifying people for me. I would now say that none of the women in that photo is Aunt Berdella.... More sleuthing must be done.

      Delete
    2. Of course, the image begs the question... Who is taking the photograph? Who is our family photographer? Could that be Oliver? Or Mr. Rees?

      Delete
  2. That was my thought as well. It is likely that one of the two took the picture. By the caption on the back of the photo it would lead you to believe that it was Oliver in the photo and John Rees taking the shot.

    ReplyDelete