Tuesday, October 28, 2014

Attaching to the French Army

The censor starts in Europe.... now Herb spends even more time talking about his health and the weather. A shame we can't hear more about the towns and countryside where he is. The reports will begin to have some of that information.

Looking at the list of places where Herb camped during his tenure with the Ambulance Corps, I see that he was in Winchester, England from 1/24/1918 to 2/3/1918.
For 2 days in February he is at a rest camp in Le Havre, France, then off to 'Base Section 1' in St. Nazaire Mecanie for a few weeks. He is in St. Nazaire as he writes this letter. The town in on the west coast of France just outside of Nantes, below Quimper, where the wonderful ceramic comes from. Looks like it took them 2 days to get from Le Havre to St. Nazaire.

Mother knows best... making him buy 'rubbers' to keep his feet dry. On that subject, Trench Foot is associated with World War 1, right? Below is a picture I think I have already shown - but here he is in rain gear... much later in time, but I thought I would show this picture of Herb.




February 10th (1918)
Dear Mother,

I hope that my sea journeys are over until the war is done with and I can come home. I am at last in France. The journeys have been a bit trying but so far I’ve no slightest thing to complain of. The food is good. I get plenty of sleep and not too much work and altogether I’m pretty fit. I wish I could tell you all about my wanderings – it would, I think, make an interesting story – but that will have to wait until I shall see you. And that would be so very long. The further I go and the more I see the more I am convinced that the war can’t last much longer – even from a military stand point.

The weather here = well you wouldn’t believe it. There are two varieties – horribly rainy sloppy days and very bright warm clear ones when an overcoat is a burden. Today there are several ball games in progress and everything reminds one of May in New York. The wet days, though, are bad. I’ve certainly thanked my lucky stars for those rubbers you made me get. I should have had continual wet feet without them. We are to be issued rubber boots that come way up to the waist but the Quartermaster Department is rushed to death, so they say, and we’ll probably not get them for a week or so. We’ll also receive two pairs of heavy ‘trench’ shoes something like British shoes with hobnailed soles and heels and a dinky little fore and aft cap.

This is strictly an American camp, so I have no opportunity to talk to any French soldiers as I had to the Tommies. Those Tommies, by the way, are a fine bunch. The Scotch take the polur (?). after having talked to them I can readily believe the stories of how the Germans fear them. They speak convincingly of it’s being over by June. I hope they’re true prophets.

Don’t bother about sending any tobacco. There are American Y.M.C.A’s in every camp where Americans are located and one can buy American tobacco at American prices, or cheaper.

Everyone now is looking forward to the first mail day. I expect it will be soon.

I’ve another address now because the Ambulance Service is attached to the French Army. It is this
1 Private Charles H. Lee
2 S.S.U. 580
3 Convois Automobile
4 B.M.C. – A.E.F. France

The second line stands for Sanitary Section Unit 580. The third means automobile train and the fourth Central Military Bureau – Amex Forces.

Your affectionate son,
Herb

No comments:

Post a Comment