Sunday, October 19, 2014

The Cheeky Monk - Belgian Beer Cafe

The Cheeky Monk is a fun place if one is a beer lover - I was amazed at the number of taps and beers on draught. There were so many taps it's almost as if the bartender was in jail!

I enjoyed a lovely arugula, sorrel and lemon salad and some fried (which was unexpected) gougères - also served with the arugula salad.

Turns out there are three locations - I did not expect that, it seemed like such a unique place; I went to the location on Colfax just down the street from the state Capital. In fact, it was an employee at the Courthouse who suggested the place. (I was hoping for weiner schnitzel, but my health is better off with the salad!) The other locations are in Westminster, Co and Winter Park, Co.

The gougères with the arugula salad - it cam with two mustards, too.

I confess I had already dug in before taking the photograph.

I also tried two alcoholic beverages... given I was lunching, my choice felt quite extravagant. I had the locally brewed Stem Cider Remedy - 6.8% Alcohol by Volume - and the Hibiscusicity by the Stone Brewing Company. I did not love either, but I was glad to have tried some new beers/beverages.

BTW - apparently this cafe gets two kegs of Pliny the Younger which was featured on NPR as the best and hardest to get beer in the USA. I think the fact the Cheeky Monk gets two kegs is impressive because I thought I heard one could only buy it at the brewery. Here's what the Brewery says about it's availability:

Availability
Pub draft only, VERY limited distribution locally and to distributors on draft only, seasonal- released at our pub the first Friday of February and is available for just 2 weeks, available at select accounts during February.

2 comments:

  1. I take it from this post that you are currently in Denver. If you would like to try an old place there is a restaurant called The Buckhorn Exchange that is unique. It has the number 1 liquor license in Colorado and has been serving food since the late 1800's. It's expensive but food is good and where else can you find rattlesnake and Yak on a menu? Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good idea.... though I was in Denver last week; my post is delayed. I will, however, try it the next time I am there, which is not yet scheduled, but probably in the Spring.

      Delete