Monday, October 13, 2014

Money Order & Christmas Passes

I can't imagine how boring this must be for Herb and the others. Nice to know he has the movies to go to - the world hasn't changed in that regard.... Just now some of us do it at home with Netflix.

Doesn't give one a good image of the accounting of the Army... SSDD (same shit, different day)


Friday, Dec. 14, 1917
Dear Mother,

I’m not writing because I have much to say but just to let you know that I have been all right. I have a slight cold – nothing serious.

I’ve been awfully busy this week try [sic] to get our account settled with the Quartermaster. We figured that we owed the QM about $200 but his records showed that he owed us about $200. The accounts of most of the other sections were in the same balled up condition so we had to call it all even and start fresh. Some fine book keeping – not.

They’ve finally put stoves in our barracks so while we’re none too warm we’re decently comfortable. It’s been pretty cold right along and last night there was another blizzard that tied up the trolley system tight. I had been to the movies so I had to walk home in it.

The money order came all right Tuesday I think it was. The powers that be are provokingly silent about Christmas passes, so I don’t know much. I think probably they’ll come through about the last of next week. I certainly hope so.

Love to all,
Herbert

No comments:

Post a Comment