Monday, October 6, 2014

Big Jump in Time

From August to November - I don't seem to have the intervening letters. This jump was the whole reason I stopped posting Herb's letters as I assumed I had some which I just hadn't yet found, but I have gone through everything I have and they just don't exist.

So fun to see that Herb has been picked out to be the official clerk - I wonder why. It's not like he is the only college graduate in the group. No promotion, though. I went to the National Archives a while ago and saw that it was his handwriting on the reports - you can imagine how much fun that was for me to see.

Harry is his younger brother, as we may remember. I don't recall why he is in New York City or when he got there. I should reread the letters to see if there is a clue.


Sunday, Nov. 4th (1917)

Dear Mother,

I am now at a miserable hole in the ground called Guth’s Station some four miles from Allentown with about 1800 other unfortunates. It’s frightfully uncomfortable, cold, muddy, and all together messy. Nothing has happened worth writing about. We eat sleep and drill about as we do in Allentown only more so and I have finished up all the monthly reports – that is unless they come back for corrections. I am the official clerk that is I do all the clerical work in the section. It isn’t an official grade. I appear on the roster as a private but I guess it’s mine allright so long as I want it.

Quite a few men perhaps a half dozen have contracted heavy colds which may be pneumonia and have been sent back to Allentown. I’ve fortunately escaped so far. I did have a congestion in the head which I broke up with salt + water. Anyway I fortified myself against a cold in the chest as soon as we arrived and I found out how cold it was by putting on woolen underwear over the other. Some stunt – but it keeps me warm. Our lieutenant is also on the sick list but with something or other due to exposure.

I expect we’re going back Wednesday and I’m very glad. I’ve have enough. If we get paid perhaps I shall go to New York next Saturday. This trench life makes me long for the City. So if you haven’t already sent my shirt in which case it will be waiting for me at Allentown I wish you’d send it Tuesday or so. I’m so dirty that getting cleaned up for once will be a luxury. I expect to have a good visit with Harry and I promise to use my head. I’ll go over there for a while but I won’t discourage him about Dean St. Any way he understands it all and he’s written me that he thinks it best to stick there for a time so I’m satisfied. I’m writing Harry to-day.

Love to all,
Herb

No comments:

Post a Comment