Tuesday, October 14, 2014

After Christmas...

Aunt Ida is Charles' mother - she lives in Huntington, NY on Long Island with her 2nd husband John Reese who I have learned is a 'poultry man' on a private estate there. Aunt Ida's first husband - John Cornell - was a butcher in NYC. I suspect he and my great uncle worked together; they shared the same address for a while, at least.


My third cousin provided this photograph of Aunt Ida as a younger woman - his great grandmother and my great grandfather's sister.

Still NO IDEA who Karolyn is - though it has occurred to me that perhaps it can be figured out... spelling her name as she does and working/training as a nurse in Bridgeport one might be able to find her. Still no idea what happens to her and why she isn't my grandmother....

Sunday
Dear Mother,

We’re in the midst of another very cold spell – down around zero. My cold though is steadily getting better and unless I catch more I don’t believe it will bother me anymore. I’m taking all possible care to avoid catching more.

I don’t believe I told you that I had a nice Christmas present from Aunt Ida – a hundred cigarettes. Wasn’t that nice of her. [sic] I’ve quit smoking them in favor of a pipe except as an occasional luxury so I guess they’ll last some time.

I had a letter from Karolyn yesterday. It as a good thing I took her watch with me instead of sending it, I guess, because none of her things from home had arrived by Thursday. It was funny, too, because her mother told me she had sent them a week early. She was very much pleased with the watch and wondered how she had gotten along without one so long.

I’ve been pretty busy as usual, making out pay rolls and so on, ready for the last day of the month when all have to be in.

There hasn’t been any pneumonia in camp so far as I have heard but I guess at least every other man has had a bad cold. I’m not going to take any more chances with wet feet you may be sure of that.

As usual there isn’t anything worth mentioning to write about. Everything is pretty dull. I wish I could get away for New Year’s to go over to NY, but there’s no chance.

Love to all,
Herb

No comments:

Post a Comment