Sunday, October 12, 2014

Thinking about Christmas Passes....

A cold & messy trip back to Allentown, PA.

Harry sure seems an unfocused young man....

Monday Dec 8 (Dec 8th was a Saturday, so this is probably the 10th)
Dear Mother,

I surely would have written yesterday but things have happened thick and fast since Saturday. Late Friday afternoon we got orders to be ready to start back to Allentown in the morning. So there was the hurry and confusion of packing up. And Saturday morning was dandy – not. I got up and looked out upon one of the finest blizzards I ever saw. It snowed with an occasional variation of rain all day Saturday and quite a little again Sunday. And cold – winter has surely come. That march back to Allentown was fierce in the snow – but what we found when we got here was worse. They put us in new barracks – just finished the day before and with no heat in them. Yesterday they gave us one small coal stove to heat a whole floor about three times as big as our floor home [sic]. So most of the boys hung out in the Y.M.C.A. It seems that the authorities in Washington thought it too cold for us where we were so they brought us back to nice cold barracks out of our warm dugouts.

Sunday morning I came here to the “Y” to write you and had just gotten warmed up + settled when the Lieut. sent for me post haste to see about getting everyone new clothing for what was lost while we were away. We were at it until lights out last night and all day to day and it isn’t finished yet.

It was rather a coincidence that you should be asking me if I wanted some money about the same time that I was asking you to send me some.

There were some disquieting rumors about Christmas passes but the Lieut. assured me today that we’d get enough time to go home so I’m not worrying though I don’t know just when it will be. Probably latter part of next week, but it can’t come any too soon to suit me.

Love to all,
Herbert

Tell Harry to wait at least until I can see him before he enlists anywhere.

No comments:

Post a Comment