Thursday, October 9, 2014

Reports & more photos of people and living situations

In 1917 both September and December started the month with the first on a Saturday.

We know Herb uses a typewriter, though the October report that the National Archives has was hand written.

More photos of sleeping accommodations - not labeled, but this looks more permanent than tents in and around Allentown. In the last photo, Herb is the guy sitting on the right hand side. I have learned one of his mannerisms now through the photographs - the way he holds his hands in his lap. Pretty distinctive.



Sunday [December 2, 1917? Could be September…)

Dear Mother,

It’s been a busy week or me. I had your letter Wednesday but so far the box has failed to put in an appearance. It seems very peculiar but then the mails here are awfully uncertain and parcel post stuff especially.

Yesterday of course was the first of the month and I had to have my monthly reports ready. It took a bit longer that normal this time because I haven’t any very good place to work. Our quarters are rather cramped. However I did get them finished in time. I’m really getting a fair speed on the type writer though I don’t think any business school would approve of my method.

The weather has been rather bad – rainy most of the week turning cold today. However the roof held and the wood supply has been good so we’ve been reasonably comfortable through it all. Tuesday I think we shall go back to Allentown. I’m not at all sorry though we have had a fairly easy time of it here. For the last week or ten days morning roll call has been omitted and if one was willing to omit breakfast at seven thirty he might sleep until nine or even later. Not bad for the army. Still it will be nice to be able to wash regularly.
Here you’re lucky to get water to clean your teeth.

Nothing new develops, but I’ll write again in a few days.

Love to all,
Herb

No comments:

Post a Comment