Monday, June 16, 2014

Bastille Day

I can guess the date of this letter, luckily. Like yesterday, I have reference points! Makes sorting so much easier.

I have to say, sometimes this does seem more like summer camp that prepping for the first World War; how naïve they all seem. Don't worry, I'm not lonesome! And how about some cake? I would like some cake, please. Bizarre, really, from a 21st century perspective.

I am posting this picture again to remember how young he was... Still waiting on his uniform and asking his mother for cake... What was he wearing all this time as he has enlisted to serve his country?

On the US Army Medical Department web site they mention how "the volunteers paid for their own transportation, clothing, uniforms, and personal equipment. As one put it, "the Americans not only had to be willing to risk their lives, they also had to pay to do it."

I guess Kimber isn't as yellow as Herb originally accused. (I suppose I could see if a death certificate is available for Kimber now that I know his full name and place of birth/residence on Ancestry.com.)

Sunday, (July 15), 1917
Dear Mother,

Sunday again and I guess the rain has cleared up for good. I hope so.

Most of the rail roads that run into Allentown are running Sunday excursions here and the camp to-day is jammed full of visitors.

I had a letter from Case the other day so I knew about the check before I had heard from. I could use about five dollars of it if you can spare it but if you need it for the insurance keep it as I’ll worry along all night.

Yesterday the camp celebrated Bastille Day in honor of the French. There were patriotic exercises and a few field events.

Events in Germany seem to have taken a funny turn but it look as if peace were still a long way off. I sent my clothes Wednesday so you must have them by now. I had to send them collect because they don’t except [sic] express parcels in camp any other way.

Karolyn is I think going to Bridgeport this week to visit her relatives there. I have written Charlie + Grace + asked them to invite her over next Saturday to stay overnight in which case I’ll run over to see her if I can get the leave. It’s awfully hard to get a leave of absence but I think I can get thirty-six hours. It takes about two hours to go from here to Jersey City and the fare is two dollars. I think Chas + Grace will be glad to have us. At any rate they had often mentioned it to me before so it was all right to ask them.

Of course I have written to the folks at Sterling Place. Kimber, as I understand it, is also enlisted in aviation: but neither of them have yet been called.

I have called twice on Morton. He is in Section 47. But I haven’t found him in yet. However I’ll probably have better luck next time.

I know quite a few of the fellows here quite well so there’s no danger of my being lonesome. There are about fifty-five Phi Delts scattered around and I often bump into them.

I would like to have you send me some cookies or cake. We never have either at mess. I buy them once in a while in the store but they don’t taste right.
Love to all,
Herbert
Section 80

No comments:

Post a Comment