Monday, October 20, 2014

Dog Tags

I can't believe I have these in my possession and I didn't even remember; how pathetic is that?

I was straightening up a bit and came across my ratty, old jewelry box. I had forgotten - obviously - what was in there so I opened it up. I should look more carefully, but I looked and saw two very light-weight metal discs. I remembered had them when I saw them, but I never understood what they were. They are Herb's dog tags. Holy crap. My great Aunt Olive - or it could have been Margaret initially, but Olive ultimately - who saved this piece of family history. Obviously they mean more to us/me because of the saved letters, but still, the family saved them and they are almost 100 years old. Perhaps I can donate them to the NY State Military Museum along with the letters.

So exciting.


No comments:

Post a Comment