Saturday, October 25, 2014

Hanging in England

What was that tip Jack Hawkinson gave Harry?

Herb's first trip to Europe. Probably the first time a Lee has been back in Europe since the first Lee arrived in America - of my line, that is, for there certainly are other, older branches of Lees in America. From what I can tell, the first Lee who came to the US was born in 1770. I don't know when he arrived or how - though I am pretty certain he arrived in the port of New York. On Herb's maternal line, though, I have learned that a grandfather that arrived in the early or mid-1800's arrived from Northern Ireland. I think Herb has mentioned this grandfather, as he served two terms in the Civil War. This grandfather, Thomas Wright, was mentioned when Herb was discussing his desire to enlist back in April. And here we find him, in the Army and in Europe. I wonder if Herb ever went to Northern Ireland.

I started reading A Farewell to Arms by Ernest Hemingway - he was an Ambulance Driver in Italy during the same period of time. Interesting to imagine Herb's experiences as I read the fictional account of Hemingway's experiences.

As he alludes to below, Herb can't say the name of the town where he is because the Censors won't allow it, not because he doesn't know. Due to those same Censors, Herb will begin to talk a lot about his health and the food. A shame, really, but of course no one can run the risk of the enemy finding out anything through an errant letter home.


January 30, 1918
Dear Mother,

To date we’re in the same place, “resting”. So far I’ve certainly nothing to complain of. We’re settled down into the way of living here, and it isn’t so bad at all. Once or twice a day we have four- to six mile hikes to keep us limbered up. Usually they take us to the nearest village – whose name I can’t tell you – and allow us to visit the sites of interest. So far I have seen a cathedral, a castle and a college, all of them more than 600 years old. They’re really marvelous things to see. The town is rather a small place and very old and quaint. It has a hospital for men wounded in France and lots of them are usually lounging around the streets in their light blue uniforms. I don’t know, of course, how much longer we may be here, but at any rate I’m not complaining.

The food continues [sic] good. There is practically no variety – much less even than the American ration – but the quality and cooking are better, I think. The weather is just like April at home – cool at night but quite warm at mid-day. At that it hasn’t once been cold enough to make ice. Lots of young boys and old men (they’re there are practically no young or middle aged active men not in the army) in the town go about in straw hats – and low shoes appear to be worn by everyone. One dinky little stove is enough to heat the barracks that accommodates 40 men.

I’d give a lot to see an American paper every day. The best London papers nowadays only contain four pages so you can imagine there can’t [sic] a great deal in them. The tone of all of them, however, is very encouraging regarding peace. I hope they’re right. At any rate, internal trouble is surely spreading in Germany and there is reason to believe that the peoples demand for peace can’t be put off much longer.

When you write be sure to tell me how Harry made out on that tip Jack Hawkinson gave him.

Affectionately,
Herb

No comments:

Post a Comment