Tuesday, July 8, 2014

Patriotism and Peace in the Spring


I have already posted the next letter in sequence here, so this jumps a week.

Aww, I guess Herb is blinded by love and can't see that the Germans won't be giving up soon enough for he and Karolyn to be together....

Margaret is Herb's youngest sister. She's probably about 6 or 7 when he is writing this letter home.

Monday (August 27), 1917
Dear Mother,

I just came back from Bridgeport this morning. I had a wonderful good time, of course. Karolyn’s mother and father were down, too, which took up all her aunt’s accommodations so I stayed at a hotel Saturday night. But I had all my meals except breakfast Sunday morning at her aunt’s. They certainly were very nice to me. The weather was beautiful all the time – clear and not too warm. Bridgeport was full of sailors from the fleet stationed over at Port Jefferson Long Island – right across the Sound.

Karolyn is going in to the hospital Tuesday or Wednesday of this week. I’m awfully glad of it. She needs something to keep her good and busy until I come back. What she will do then depends on the circumstances. God knows I hope I won’t be gone long. Certainly the Allies are punishing the Germans badly. The situation looks pretty hopeful to me for a peace in the early spring.

By the way I forgot to tell you that at the last minute Saturday morning after inspection we were given weekend passes which explains my being in Bridgeport Saturday night. I was awfully glad because that way we had quite a little time together – and a very happy time. Karolyn was pretty brave. She cried a bit but not much. Anyway, she’s pretty patriotic and conscientious and she’s really glad, I think, that I volunteered. So am I and you, too, I know.

Love to all,
Herb

I got what you and Margaret sent me by her.

I’m afraid we’ll be going soon. I wish I didn’t have to tell you that but it is better that I tell you than that you should have to find it out by worrying because I don’t write. It takes a month to go over by way of Halifax. Then there one month of instruction on the other side. It won’t be so dangerous as you think.

No comments:

Post a Comment