Saturday, July 19, 2014

The Source of the Sections

Herb mentioned a Section made up of Syracuse men. I thought that odd at the time, but it seems to have been very common; schools made up sections, even companies. Very patriotic. And I had no idea.

I didn't see a Syracuse section, specifically, though. Yale, Harvard, Penn State are represented, as are cities, New York, Allentown, Pottsville, Boston....

One of the largest contributors is the Stoneman Fellowship - at least 10 sections. A Google search lead me back to a web site I had visited long ago in my genealogical research. This site offers a ton of information on the Ambulance Corps, and they are the source of my information about this Stoneman Fellowship.

The Stoneman's Fellowship was a fraternal organization doing philanthropic work in the northeast section of the city for many years. [Philadelphia] They had first-aid classes and furnished ambulance service to their members. When the call was sounded for recruits for the new Ambulance Service, it was natural for this group to join up.

My, how things have changed. With our volunteer army, nothing like this would exit today. It makes me think about the world in which we live - with the world events as they currently stand - Israel on the ground in the Gaza strip and the Malaysian commercial airline scattered over a nine mile diameter of the Ukraine.... Israel existing, at least in part, on the events from WW1 which lead to WW2 and Israel, and the apparent desire of Putin to recreate a Cold War buffer zone around Russia. To what end, I ask.



No comments:

Post a Comment