Wednesday, June 25, 2014

Backpacks and Meeting the Parents

OMG, he does love her. What could have happened to her? To them? Herb marries my grandmother in 1923 when he is back in Brooklyn working at an advertising agency, Barrows & Richardson, as an executive assistant. Their first child comes more than 9 months after the wedding, so I am not going to think less of him.

Charles is a bit older than Herb – by about 8 years.

So, backpacks? The evolution of military equipment described right here for us to learn.

Thursday (August 23), 1917
Dear Mother,

Your letter came today. I was awfully sorry to hear that you have been having trouble with your liver. I do hope that the doctoring will put you in good shape again in short order.

Did I tell you that I have been vaccinated? The doctor looked at it again today and pronounced it ok. Now that it has taken I’m through with vaccines for a while, I hope. At least I am supposed to be immune from typhoid, paratyphoid and small pox for some time to come – probably from on five years.

When we were out on the hike we used old style knapsacks and other equipment but today they gave us the new model packs. The old ones hang by your side in a long strap over your shoulder but these new ones have straps over both shoulders and they ride up high right between your shoulders. They sort of cut your shoulders at first but the weight of them sits better. I also now have three sets of good heavy all wool underwear regular back woods stuff. It will be fine and warm.

I knew of course that Karolyn had been up to see you. I don’t need to say that I’m awfully glad you can love her too. I don’t know what I should do if you didn’t. I’m sure you’ll never have reason to change your mind. She’s just as fine and sweet as she seems. I ought to know after all this time.

We may possibly be let off at noon Saturday or perhaps eleven o’clock – right after inspection. In that case I’ll drop in and see Chas and Grace before I go to Bridgeport. And don’t worry about my keeping K out late. I’m just as jealous of her reputation as anyone else – with good reason.

Lots of love,
Herb

I’ll probably be too busy to write Sunday so I’ll wait till Monday.

He’s so gallant; what a gentleman.
I do have to say, though, I am so surprised about how much traveling they have been doing. It's not like Troy, NY where my great grandmother is living, is close by. Traveling from Jersey City, to NYC, to Bridgeport, to Troy; I'd be exhausted and I have a car at my disposal.
My grandmother lived to a ripe old age, so I am not going to worry about her liver trouble.


No comments:

Post a Comment