Thursday, July 17, 2014

the latest dope

In that skinny folder I did find this flyer requesting for input and announcing the launch of the newspaper.


I don't know, would this entice you to contribute? I guess this circular is the equivalent of Facebook in 1918.

I have found some lists of personnel in Section 580 - and all the other sections - but too many to include, but I wonder if there were any 'experienced newspaper men and cartoonists in the sections.' I hadn't thought about what professions these other enlistees followed. Would be interesting to know.

And, the newspaper would be/should be where one would learn 'just why you don't hear anything from that application for transfer"? Hmmm, I think I would want to learn that from my commanding officer, not published for the whole Ambulance Corps to read.

I do appreciate the mention of the Censor, though. Transcribing the letters is a bit of a challenge because Herb spends a lot of time telling his family about his health and about the weather. I finally saw a written mention about the Censors in his letters, so I can see why his letters are so thin in that regard. I just wish Herb would write more family news. I suppose the USA AS commanding officers instruct the enlistees to tell their families how they are faring and that gives nothing away to the Germans.

No comments:

Post a Comment