Sunday, July 6, 2014

Harry has been playing around with girls

Hahaha! I wish we had the letter from his mother describing what brother Harry was doing.

Sunday 1917 (8/19/1917)
Dear Mother,

Your Friday letter arrived today. We always have one mail delivery on Sunday.

It certainly was surprising to hear that Harry has been playing around with girls. I was glad to hear it, though. He ought to get out more often.

I had a regular surprise package from Karolyn today – a brown sweater and scarf to match that she knitted for me and a tobacco pouch. The sweater is a regular godsend. It’s pretty cold at 5:30 am these days. Her father is going to drive her down to Bridgeport this coming Saturday – the 25th. I’m going to try to get over to see her that Sunday. There is nothing definite yet but I’m inclined to think that Section 80 will be sent along with the section in which Allan Norton is. 80 is one of the oldest sections in camp now. Still you never can tell. At any rate I can’t drive yet – haven’t been given instructions so I’ll not see any actual service for quite a few months unless they transfer me to some sort of clerical work at some headquarters over there. If we are going I do wish they’d tell us.

The weather is ideal. Cool nights and warm clear days. Friday I was vaccinated for small pox so I am all through with having my arm jabbed and punctured unless the vaccination doesn’t take.

I got another pair of shoes this week – three pairs now.

Love to all,
Herbert

I believe this is a photo of Harry when he was young. He married, but never had any children. If not Harry, still a very handsome man.

No comments:

Post a Comment