Wednesday, July 16, 2014

The Radiator

While going through the files at the National Archives the other day I came across a file about a newspaper/sheet that the Ambulance Corps put together so that they may keep in touch with one another. "The Radiator" Why that name, I have no idea....

The only copy of the introductory letter I came across was addressed to the commanding officer at Section 504 - Lieutenant Kenneth L. Blanchard. I found no copies of the newspaper, only one cut out of an article.

The Lieutenant Colonel in charge of this endeavor was Percy L. Jones. He wrote that he "feel[s] that an official newspaper will fill a long felt need, and [he] believe[s] that this is an opportune time to start the wheels of the press a-going." And, of course, he requires that each section buy the paper and, of course, send him 15 francs for the privilege.


AND, he also wants each commanding officer to designate a journalist amongst his group.... As if these guys don't have enough on their plates. I say that, but what a treasure, for me, it would be, if I came across some of these newspapers....

No comments:

Post a Comment