Monday, September 28, 2015

Felting

Apparently I was drawn to felting this year. As I was last year.

Last year I made a bold move and bought my brother a felted Santa and Mrs. Claus. I was delighted by what I had seen at the Fiber Festival, but you know how it is when you see something and you think of someone, but they don't have the same experience and are wondering why the heck you bought it for them. Kinda like when you bring home wooden clogs from Holland for someone who wasn't on the trip with you. They're like 'gre-at'. But you had a wonderful time, you were surrounded with tourist shops selling wooden clogs, you love your friend, you were thinking about them; everything is all wrapped up warmly in your mind, but they are like, 'WTF?'

Well, my brother assured via text me while I was standing in the booth that his daughters loved the Santa and Mrs. Claus, so I bought them some more. Not quite as seasonal this time, but I am sure they will be brought out at the same time, as who wants to have gnomes as a center piece all year round?

The felters I enjoyed the most were Jen and Melissa Van Sant of Going Gnome. Here is their post card:





I was very saddened to read the back which communicated the passing of their Mom.

Of course, as experienced artists, they make felting look very easy. I thought I would try my niece out with the gnome project. They assured me she could do it. I bought a magazine, a video tape, a kit and a felting cushion. I thought she might like the green gnome.



After buying everything for my niece I realized that it is really I who wants to try my hand at felting... I don't even really get to shove my niece out of the way and take over her project because she lives in Wyoming and I on the East Coast. So, I broke down and bought myself a pumpkin making kit from Decadent Fibers. Wish me luck.

No comments:

Post a Comment