Saturday, September 26, 2015

Harry Enlisted!

OMG, I don't think I knew that Harry enlisted until I found this letter. I don't believe I found this until intentionally searching for it.



And apparently I spelled Paul's name wrong, but I found him. He attended Dartmouth.



What a handsome young man. They called him 'Red' and apparently he was a very fine athlete.



Herb must be sleeping at the Hopital Miomandre. While researching the hospital I came across a book written by a guy, Dr. Richard Derby, who served as a surgeon in France - "Wade In, Sanitary!": The Story of a Division Surgeon in France. I would like to read it, though a quick look through the index did not pop up anything about Section 580.

July 28, 1918
Dear Mother,

I’ve had one letter from you this week – it was dated June 24th.

I really wasn’t much surprised to hear what Harry’s been up to. I’ve been expecting as much for some time. I know it will be hard for you, Mother dear, but it can’t be helped. It’s a nasty business and everyone ought do his share. As for me, I’m right proud of the kid. A slacker is about the meanest thing on two feet, and I’m glad we have none in the family.

It’s good to hear of Dad’s increase. Certainly it was needed and it’s little enough.

Do you know that darned package from Wannamaker’s hasn’t turned up yet. I haven’t given up hope yet, though.

Things are pretty quiet hereabouts though there’s plenty doing on other parts of the line I guess the Kaiser must be laughing out of the other side of his mouth at the Americans.

Those clippings you send are very interesting. Of course I got a look at a paper once or twice a week and the troops usually hear the daily communiques but I never see any worthwhile editorial comment.

They’ve brought a number of Polish troops up here. Most of them come from the States but they were recruited by the French – something on the plan of the Foreign Legion – and wear the French uniform except for the Polish square topped hat. They seem to be pretty good too – brought in quite a few prisoners the other day.

We’ve had quite a bit of rain lately but the weather is fine on the whole and not too warm.

Did I tell you that we’re quartered in a field hospital now. They aren’t using it now so we’ve moved in to one of the huts. It’s quite the best barracks we’ve ever had – it has regular beds in it with springs and honest to goodness mattresses. I’d almost forgotten that there were ever such things as bed springs.

If Harry’s ordered out anywhere give me his address so I’ll be able to write him.

Your affectionate son
Herb

No comments:

Post a Comment