Sunday, September 20, 2015

Back on Duty

When Herb returns he finds himself with his Section at Sommes Suippes, Marne.



Friedman was his boss in Manhattan,

I love how Herb thinks we all should have a profession. Such a forward thinking man. :)

Dang I wish I could find Karolyn. And even more I wish I could figure out why they didn't marry.

Harry, of course, is Herb's younger brother.

The Shermans are Herb's mother's sister's family.

Now, aunt Anna.... Hmmm. I might have to figure that one out. Nellie Jane only has one sister. Oliver has a brother and a sister, Ida, but no Anna. So, she could be a friend of Nellie Jane's. Not sure on that one.

I think we tried to research Nellie Graham before....


September 20, 1918

Dear Mother,
I arrived safely back at the front several days ago and was overjoyed to find that a good many letters had accumulated in my absence. There were several from you and Karolyn, of course. One from Tom, one each from Mr. + Mrs. Friedman and one from Miss Seeger who is Mr. Friedman’s stenographer. (She used to be partly mine.)

Tom seems very cheerful and has been around several times on crutches. The doctors tell him that eventually his legs will be as good as ever though it will, of course, take time. At any rate, he’s perfectly cheerful about it all and that’s a strong point in his favor. I certainly hope, though, that he will be sent back to the States.

Mr. Friedman and Miss Seeger between them retailed me most of the news around the office. Among other things, it appears that my successor has himself been succeeded. Just in time he picked himself onto a good desk job in the Navy. He used good judgment.

I of course knew that Karolyn intended to go back to Bridgeport. She wrote me all about it and put it up to me as to whether she should go on or stay. I gathered that she wanted to go so of course I was quite willing she should. I’m inclined to think she has the right idea, at that. Every girl ought to have some sort of trade or profession, just as every man should. One never knows what circumstances may arise that might make it her salvation. It’s very comforting to me to know that you get along together so nicely. She’s quite crazy about you all and naturally I’m delighted with that.

When I came back I found the section had moved back into the lines again. Things are quiet. We have a very comfortable billet here, much better than a good many we’ve had. The weather, however, is bad – wet and quite cold.

I don’t think I told you that I saw young Kenneth Lavin from the “Burgh” on leave. He came over last year with a Syracuse Ambulance Unit. Herb Blake and he are in the same Section. I saw him several times and we gossiped together like a couple of old women. Between his accounts and those of Maxwell MacDowell I think I’m fully in touch with all Troy and Lansingburgh news.

The war continues to go pretty well from my point of view and it begins to look as if there might be some end to it.

I hope Harry will be able to get in for that Photographic Service. I know he’d be crazy about it and I think it would do him a lot of good. However if he can’t there’s no use worrying about it. These are bad days for worrying.

Remember me to the Shermans and Aunt Anna, and also to Nellie Graham when you see her.

Your affectionate son,
Herb

No comments:

Post a Comment