Tuesday, September 1, 2015

Can we Identify Karolyn?

I had hoped the additional information of having Karolyn's brother's name would help me find her in the Census. But I don't know where she is born or where she and Herb met. It seems she had easy enough access to visit with Herb's mother Nellie Jane, so I assume she did not travel from Brooklyn to Troy, but I don't know. My sense is that she met Nellie Jane at Charles and Grace's wedding. We know she lived/served in Bridgeport, CT as a nurse during WWI.

What other hints do we have?

I assume she is Herb's age or maybe a bit younger.

I don't know her heritage - is she Irish? German? Here is a search in NY state for women named Karolyn. Only 8 of them. But which county? And no brother Ed for any of them. And some were very young in 1915, so Karolyn can't be Herb's Karolyn. I guess I should explore Connecticut and New Jersey, too.







September 1, 1918
Dearest Mother,
I haven’t much news for you. The week has been very uneventful – rather more so than usual. We’re still staying along in rest billets and taking things easy. Tomorrow, however, four of us go on permission. We’ll have seven days in the leave area clear, not counting the days going and coming, probably twelve or thirteen days altogether.

I had a letter from Charlie and Grace this week written while they were taking a vacation in Waterford, Connecticut. Chas mentioned the fact that he expects to be called pretty soon. I doubt very much if they’ll take him, however he said he had several letters from me about the time he wrote that was August 6th. I’m glad of it because I was so afraid he had an idea that I’ve been neglecting him.

I also had a letter from Karolyn this week. Her brother Ed is in a machine gun company and was then expecting to lave very shortly. Unfortunately there were none of your letter in this week’s mail. Usually there are if there is any mail at all. I’ve been expecting a letter from Tom, too.

You know, that package you ordered me through Wanamaker’s never came through. There’s another chap in the Section who was supposed to receive one from them, but he never got one either.

The principal amusement lately is reading the war news. We manage to get the papers fairly regularly and they certainly read well. The British and French are progressing right along. I’m hoping for a good all American demonstration before the winter just to show Ludendorf [sic] what he can expect next spring. I think there are enough Yanks here to do it very nicely.

Your affectionate son,
Herb.

No comments:

Post a Comment