Saturday, October 11, 2014

We have names!

Holy cow - we have names of the other men shown in the photographs! What a find!

What kind of helmet would someone send Herb? I suspect Nellie is Nelly Graham, but I have no way of knowing, just that I have seen that name a lot in my recent transcriptions.

I have no idea who Jack Hawkinson is... and what kind of picture could he be working on?

I wish we knew what Herb writes to the Men's Club... I mean, what kind of information do they want? Mr. Ferguson... again, Herb has a cousin who marries a William Ferguson, but that hasn't happened yet. Below please find a photograph of cousin Helen who marries Bill Ferguson.


Thursday, December 6th, 1917
Dear Mother,

The days seem awfully long but still they’re gone before one knows it. Here it is four days since I’ve written you yet it doesn’t seem possible.

The box arrived all right Monday so it was all of a week on the way. However it was still in pretty good shape. The bread of course was a bit stale but it made fine toast, and the cake and turnovers were in a surprisingly fresh condition. The four of us fell to on them and had a nice little feed. The four of us who are together are Howard Breese, a private secretary from Brooklyn, Ron Mather who was a freshman at Cornell last year, Jordan who was in the importing business in N.Y. We make a pretty congenial foursome.

The helmet comes in fine and I shall thank Nellie for it within a few days.

Sine Jack Hawkinson hasn’t written I consider it likely that he is away working on some picture. He often goes away like that for several weeks or more at a time. I expect that I will have a vacation of a week or so around the 18th and while I’m in NY I’ll try to get in touch with him, personally.

I don’t know when we’ll be paid, so I wish if you can spare it you’d send me about ten dollars so I can be prepared. You’d best send a money order, because we’re still in the field and probably will be for some time and a money order is safer. Make it out to Charles. H. Lee because that’s my name in the Army and that makes identification at the P.O. easier.

Monday afternoon we had a fire in our shanty and lost quite a few articles of clothing. We weren’t in any danger ourselves and managed to rescue most of our goods. I was the lightest loser. I lost only my new hat so I have to wear my old one. However we are to be issued new clothing for all of the burnt stuff. There certainly was a wild scramble for about five minutes trying to move our stuff out.

I had a letter from Mr. Ferguson this week requesting another letter for the Men’s Club meeting next Monday so I’m writing today.

Love to all,
Herb




Here we have Herb's sisters - Olive and Margaret flanking his cousin Helen Sherman Ferguson


These are the Shermans, with Cousin Helen in the middle - the child - and Herb's Aunt Ada standing behind Helen.

No comments:

Post a Comment