Saturday, October 4, 2014

Herb's back!

I am guessing that this letter belongs to September, but it might very well be December. I transcribed it a long time ago, but I really need to reread all the letters together in one flow to see where it might fit. But, I am eager to return to Herb, so I wanted to keep going.

Don't you just love how he puts movies in quotes? I guess it was still such a new concept.

Mr. Fairlee is the pastor/reverend (whatever is the right term...) of their church. I can't think who Mr. Ferguson might be, though eventually Herb's cousin Helen Sherman marries a Bill Ferguson, so could there be a family connection? Who knows?

He is so nice to his mother, isn't he?



Thursday 1917 (September?)

Dear Mother,

Dad’s letter came yesterday and the box arrived to-day. Everything tasted so good after a couple of weeks of rations. Last night occurred the first rain in three weeks. All drills had to be called off today because the soil is mostly clay and when it’s wet it’s awfully soupy. Last night I went into Allentown for a bath and a shave at the Y.M.C.A. and a visit to the “movies”.

Nothing has developed in regards to our leaving here as I imagine we may be here some time yet. Still it might be worse. We have a good fire in our dugout all the time and the roof keeps out the rain all right. I think we’ll be able to get ten days off around Christmas time. Five of the fellows left Tuesday to be gone until the last day of this month.

I was quite surprised, I think it was Monday to receive a letter from Mr. Fairlee, a very nice letter, too. I suppose my letter to the Men’s Club prompted it. Mr. Ferguson asked me to write him that letter.

By the way, Mother, there must be on hand enough of my allowance to get you a new coat if you haven’t one. You haven’t said anything about a new one and I know you’ve had the other at least three years. Why not take some of my money, whatever is needed, and get yourself one. Nothing could please me better. Won’t you do it? I know what you’ll say of course, the H.C. of L. etc. but you need a good coat to go to church and please for Heaven’s sake get it.

I’ve been wondering what to get Karolyn. I’ve been thinking of a wrist watch. I know she’d like one though she hasn’t said so. However I haven’t decided yet. Anyway I like to give her something rather nice and I guess if I can do that you ought to be able to get a coat and call it a Christmas present.

Love,
Herb

No comments:

Post a Comment