Monday, August 31, 2015

Van Gorder - Artist

I am gathering all my photos to go through them again and I came across this painting which was saved throughout time by my family members... So, a quick search does not help me discover who this artist was. It never struck me as a particularly fabulous painting... but it was saved, so it had to have meant something to someone...

So, was the artist special to someone in my family? Did a family member pick up the painting at a street fair? (When did artist street fairs begin?) Is Van Gorder a cousin of some nature?

I have sent an email to a living Van Gorder in wikitree. We will see if I get a response. Who knows what I might learn?



The painting measures a whopping 5" x 7".

Could the scene be upstate New York in the Fall? I am sure there are plenty of other places where this might have been composed.... but given where my family lived, I make the preceding guess. If anyone can help, I would be grateful!





No comments:

Post a Comment