Sunday, July 12, 2015

Recycled T-shirts, turned into skirts - Loveworn

I met BJ McHugh of Loveworn at the Central Pennsylvania Arts Festival over the July 10th weekend in State College, Pa. BJ hails from Cincinnati, Ohio, where she makes new pieces of clothing out of recycled t-shirts. She will even make you a custom piece out of your saved t-shirts - you know those t-shirts you never wear but don't want to toss because they meant something to you once upon a time. (A skirt or hoodie seems more practical to me than a quilt, which is another idea for old t-shirts; or a rag rug, but you would never see the t-shirts anymore in the rug... Just thinking out loud)

Looking at her web site it seems that she has many more styles than she brought to the Central Pennsylvania Arts Festival. Here are a few images I took from her web site:

Little Girl's skirt - had to be fun piecing this together


Woman's jacket - wouldn't this be great made from your old t-shirts?

Women's skirt with a cute pocket

I was disappointed that she only had a few in my size - maybe that says more about me than her inventory - but I bought a lovely black and grey short skirt with a draw-string waist.

I am disappointed that I didn't find a post on another woman I stumbled upon in New Orleans who makes wrap skirts from neckties. I bought one of her fun skirts, too. I will have to see what  have in my files and introduce you to her.

Searching the term recycle, though, I found another of my fiber artists - MsCrochetJig - who uses soda top tabs in her purses.


No comments:

Post a Comment