Thursday, July 2, 2015

Yildiz Palace/Şale (pronounced Chalet for those of us who don't speak Turkish) Pavilion - A review

Wonderful.

Yes, the palace itself is closed for renovations, but this pavilion and the incredibly steep park are open. Families were picnicking at the many tables in the park - plus there are at least 3 restaurants in the park, in the other pavilions. It was a nice visit.

Our friend, Nez, told us that the carpet in one of the reception halls was made by 60 or so weavers, and the the docent at the pavilion told me that it took 3 years to make. I can't imagine the size of the loom, or the room in which the loom was housed!

I wish I was able to take photographs of the carpet. I found this photograph at Turkishculture. I wish I had found a larger image. You can't possibly see the carpet.


The Şale Pavilion was built in 3 sections in the 19th century. It is very opulent and the workmanship is impressive. The carpet is a one piece Hereke carpet - 406 square meters! It is one of the largest carpets in the world and the wall had to be removed to install it.

Looking at the older two sections
The third section
The entrance to the center section
Shhhh, don't tell anyone I have this photo - of the Mother of Pearl dining hall
The only portion of the actual Palace I saw over the wall

Lots of ducks in the park

Ok, I found this photo of the carpet:



And a friendly cat I found on the street... what beautiful coloring!

No comments:

Post a Comment