Sunday, July 5, 2015

Bring Greenies to Turkey and Greece

Should I ever return to Greece or Turkey I am going to load up on Greenies in my suitcase (and make room for more souvenirs as I spread the Greenie love.)

I am not trying to advertise for Greenies, but I do know that my cat will seek out and tear a bag open, so I figure she likes them. Whether they are actually good for her, I have no idea, I just know she's a fan and I am a fan of her.

I noticed on this trip that I can not concentrate on what I am being told if there is an animal around - and this is particularly true if that animal is a water buffalo or a cat. And seeing as there were no water buffaloes in this area of the world, it was cats. And were there ever cats.... Everywhere. And frequently very healthy looking.

Let us begin with my friend at home - full name: Free-to-a-Good-Home, also known as Freeda. She was out all night, the camp counselors tell me, and this is her 'bugger-off' face in the morning when she went to bed.



Here we have an attractive little feline laying on a column capital from the Greco-Roman period now found at the Istanbul Archaeology Museum:


And a friend from the museum, hanging out at the little cafe, who will even jump in your lap if you let him - very sweet and soft, but eager for food


Sleeping contentedly in the Yildiz Palace park


Beautifully colored and fluffy cat parading along Çirağan Caddesi (yes, that is my foot, so you can get a sense of how friendly the cat was)


Jumping back in time, and to Greece... On the beach in Leros


In Kalimnos, Greece... one can see how my traveling companions might have thought them pests.... but I was thrilled.


Just a small sampling of the cats I wanted to put in my bag to take home.

We only saw one pregnant cat - at the Istanbul Archaeology Museum - and only a few litters. We did see many tipped ears, though, so attention is being paid to the animals.

I guess I am not particularly a dog person, but there are plenty of dogs around as well - and well-behaved and fairly clean and healthy looking. Many had tags on their ears, but they too are living an contemplated-in-the-US life on the streets.

No comments:

Post a Comment