Tuesday, March 24, 2015

MsCrochetjig Creative Crochet

I was amazed and delighted by the crochet work of Ms. Roycelyn Dequair. I walked in to her booth at the Rhythms Festival in New Orleans because of the crochet. I was interested because I like the idea of crochet very much, but I'm not one of those lighter-than-air, hippy-dippy sorts who model lacey shawls - which are all the crochet patterns I ever see.


Well, let me tell you - her work is wonderful. She is making purses and clutches with brightly colored string and the tabs from soda or beer cans. In New Orleans, the City does not recycle, so one can find cans all over the place. She indicated to me that her neighbors and festival volunteers will bring her bags of the tabs. I thought to myself, this is brilliant, she is helping with the issue and making money. I suppose one day the Crescent City will get their act together and have recycling, but in the meantime, she is doing a small part to remove some waste from the land fill.


In her own words - taken from her web site:
I was born in New Orleans, La. I have been married for 24 yrs. stay at home
housewife who loves to crochet and read. I have a great passion for
crocheting, so I decided to create my own business. I have been crocheting
for over 28 yrs and love to learn new things. I decided to research more about crocheting and found that women in Brazil was crocheting with pop tabs! Wow I thought to myself now how can I do this and make it not only a business but my career!!!! So I begin to go out on the street and collect cans! Started practicing and after many mess ups, and long hours of practicing it became a passion! Each tab is washed , sanitized and sanded by hand, crocheted together and uniquely designed by me! I also crochet photos into fabric!!!!!!!! My teacher Todd Paschall is the founder of this technique and I was very interested so I once again begin practicing and taking it to the next level in my business! All of my work is done by hand carefully planned out and with love!

Ms. Roycelyn has used top designers for her inspiration. She mentioned to me that she had seen a purse by Dolce & Gabanna for over $2,000 and she is selling one inspired by their design for $450. (I pulled an example of a crocheted purse by D&B below - not that the image I found is the same, just that I found one and have just learned how to post it on my blog!) She indicated that she was certain that at Jazz Fest here in NOLA in April 2015 she will absolutely sell the purse. (If I were fashionable enough and not so frugal, I would pay that easily for one of her hand made purses.)

Dolce & Gabbana Miss Charles Jeweled Crochet Shoulder Bag



Now, if only one can figure out what to do with the rest of the can.

No comments:

Post a Comment