Wednesday, July 8, 2015

Location Bias in Restaurant Reviews

So, I heard an interesting story about on-line review sites on the radio the other day. Apparently, if seeking reviews on restaurants one should place more weight on a local's review than a visitor's review. And why? Because a visitor might be more 'forgiving' of shortcomings because the visitor is in a new place and may think that deficiencies are just local variations and different in this town than where they are from. Failings in service or quality might be a local novelty rather than a shortcoming.

Hmmm. Perhaps I should include more reviews of my local restaurants, because I can absolutely say that sometimes, when traveling, it is the entire experience that gets wrapped up in the review. For example, I have no memory of the food I ate at one restaurant, but check out this view. You know I was enchanted as I dined. (Oh, except for that incredibly loud family that showed up after our appetizers and proceeded to punch each other and giggle and bellow about how the kabobs are better at home. Suddenly my meal wasn't as appetizing, but that is not the fault of the restaurant.)

Sunset and a storm - our view at dinner in Cappadokia.

No comments:

Post a Comment