Saturday, May 10, 2014

Photographs - what do you do when inundated?

As perhaps I mentioned, I have found a ton of Lee/Kirkpatick photographs/memorabilia in my attic. I am ashamed that I have had it all along and am only now realizing it. What I recall from the time that I cleaned out Olive’s apartment in the late 90s is that there were a ton of tiny travel photographs - maybe 1 and a 1/2 inch square. I knew they were very cool, because they were Rome, Moscow, China, etc. – but they were so small and I couldn't deal with it at the time. It appears that I had more presence of mind than I realized – I seem to have saved some really good stuff. Thank you, God.
However, going through all the unlabeled photographs made me think about my own colletion of photographs. Mostly I make shutterfly.com books of my travel photographs. But, those books are more about what I see rather than the people. I know from this archival or historical process that it is the people who will be interesting years later, not the places – unless, of course it is someplace that eventually gets destroyed, like the Buddha statues in Afghanistan. Then you want to keep those photographs.
So, I have sorted through years of photographs. I had to wrestle with the question of outdated storage media, slides and negatives. My husband suggested that I keep all the negatives, and I suppose they don’t take up too much space. I didn’t even tackle the slides. I have a ton of black and white negatives from photography classes over the years, though they are already slipped in to sleeves and filed in a 3 ring binder. I did throw some photographs away, though. That feels like sacrilege. I tossed photos of a cousin’s wedding, but only because the quality of the photographs is so poor; it was a tough decision, though. I am sure, though, that I have photo albums somewhere with these photographs and these are the duplicates.
Of course I have come across miscellaneous photographs which are not people, but make me think about my family and my life. So, in that vein, I have scanned – and I will now toss – a photograph of the house my grandmother rented for a number of years in Kennebunkport, Maine. I will also write the memories I have of the house and my family's time there.
• This house was owned by the Pruitt Family
• The house is just down the road from the Walker (read President Bush’s) compound on Walker point. I remember when I heard Senior President George Bush make a speech when he was running against Reagan, before he became his running mate.
• I spent summers here reading Jane Austen while cousin was reading English literature; I think he was preparing for graduate school.
• This was where Gammy had a piece of spinach on her nose and another cousin and I were laughing about it. When Alex told Gammy about it, she answered with “well, I think it looks good there.” Santos came out to serve the next course and used her finger to wipe it off. I can picture that to this day.
• The my brothers and my cousins spent hours walking/playing on the rocks along the Maine coastline.
• Gammy bought us tennis, sailing and diving lessons and such to keep us out of the house and active.

Honestly, I am overwhelmed with all the photographs - and also the knowledge that being childless, none of these images will be of interest to another generation. I will hope that my nieces and my stepchildren with be happy for the images of their own parents amongst my collection.

No comments:

Post a Comment