Thursday, May 29, 2014

Breaking it to Mom

I have found several letters in an envelope with the post mark May 21, 1917, from Brooklyn. In my quick inspection I grabbed this one because it looked different - it was addressed to Dad, not Mother, as all the others have been up to this point in the transcription process. This letter was addressed to Dad, Oliver Lee, for a very good reason....

I wish I had more letters between Easter and this letter; I want to see the thought process - the hashing out. And he has the truth of it, about America turning the tide.

I am also interested in the way he ends the letter - differently than when he concludes his letters to his mother. Though my own father had difficulty expressing love and affection, it does not appear that Herb did. Perhaps families had an easier time of it when letter-writing was such a part of life.

Monday – perhaps May 1917
Dear Dad,

I’m sending this to you because I want you to read it first and break it to Mother.

I’m going to enlist if they’ll have me. I’ve hashed it all over with myself and with everybody else who would talk about it with me, and I’m satisfied that it’s my bounden duty to offer my services. I’m convinced that there is going to be a long period of war yet and the longer action is delayed the longer the day of peace will be delayed. It will be America who ultimately turns the tide – and as an American, I want to do what I can.

I talked with a Sergeant in the Marine Corps today and he told me – and he said it straight-forward enough – that a man with my education would in all likelihood be able to obtain a commission more probably even than by going to Plattsburgh. Not that I care much whether I get a commission or not so long as I’m serving. So I think I’ll go to the recruiting station the latter part of this week. If I’m accepted I’ll have a week’s leave before reporting for duty and shall come home at once, of course.

I know it’s going to be hard on you and Mother, Dad, but this is the time when we who claim to be good Americans have got to show it. I’ve never been a flag-waver, but I’m not going to be a slacker.

I know how you’ll feel but I also know that it had to come, so I wish you’d write and tell me to go ahead. I’ll look forward to hear from you in two or three days.

Your affectionate son,
Herb

No comments:

Post a Comment