Wednesday, May 28, 2014

Easter 1917 and Billy Sunday

America joined the war on April 6, 1917 - just two days before this letter was written home.

I mentioned cousin Edith's husband Russell was listed as a stage manager in the 1915 NY State Census - perhaps he is travelling with a show. Her apartment as of today on Zillow.com is listed as being in auction. Oops.

I didn't know about Katherine, Russell's younger sister; I will have to do a little sleuthing about their family.

I couldn't decipher where Aunt Ada and Helen were going. I don't recognize it.

I had to look up Billy Sunday. He seems to be an evangelist. According to Wikipedia:

William Ashley "Billy" Sunday (November 19, 1862 – November 6, 1935) was an American athlete who, after being a popular outfielder in baseball's National League during the 1880s, became the most celebrated and influential American evangelist during the first two decades of the 20th century.


Here is Billy Sunday at the White House in 1922



(No date given, though Easter fell on April 8th, 1917)
Dear Folks,

Easter – but you wouldn’t know it. Last Sunday was very warm but today is pretty cold. The little basket came yesterday and Charlie took it down to Grace last night. She was quite delighted with it.

Good Friday the Exchange was closed so I had a holiday. Charlie had to work, however, it not being a legal holiday. In the morning I went over and called on Edith. Her address by the way is 1209 Beach Ave. Her flat is awfully nice since she has gotten settled. Russell’s younger sister, Katherine, was staying with her for a few days. This morning (Sunday) Charlie and I went over again because Charlie hadn’t been over this week. Russell won’t be home until sometime in June.

I got my new suit yesterday + was quite pleased with it. I tried to find about Harry’s coat but didn’t have any success, because this Brodie to whom I gave it wasn’t there. Tell Harry to write them (if he hasn’t yet) addressing it to Mr. Brodie + I think he’ll get some action that way.

I had a card from Aunt Ada yesterday saying that she + Helen were going to Ilson (?).

It rather begins to look as if I might go to war whether or no, doesn’t it. Well I’m not worrying. I’m quite sure that my job will be waiting for me when I get back. At any rate, Charles' Department is to be made over in to a great big affair with bond salesmen on the road just like the National City Bank’s bond department and he can get me a job very easily. I shan’t enlist until I think I am needed but when the time comes, if I am needed I shan’t be a quitter, if I can get by the physical examination. There’ll be lots of time to worry about that later.

Billy Sunday opens up here today. I’m afraid that with the war + all he won’t get as much publicity as he likes. It’ll be a good thing if he doesn’t.

I’m thinking of running up home around the first of May. Still that’s several weeks ahead yet.

Love to all,
Herb

No comments:

Post a Comment