Monday, February 9, 2015

Ancestry DNA


I had a tremendously exciting event the other day - I found a 2nd cousin once removed through the DNA feature of Ancestry.com. We are now Facebook friends and I am learning about her life and family.
Her mother is my second cousin. Her mother has met my grandmother, and presumably, my mother, too, though no one really remembers that. My mother and my new FB friend/cousin's grandfather are first cousins. They, of course, know one another, but had lost touch. (Thank goodness for Facebook. I mean, what a wonderful way to stay in someone else's life without being totally intrusive.)
An additional twist to this story is that my newly found cousin is adopted - though she knows both her biological parents. Her father is also adopted, so if and when she gets another hit and finds a relative of his, that could be really exciting and scary for her.

On another incredibly fun note, my DNA-found cousin's biological mother, my second cousin, is moving very close to where I live and we are all going to get together. How wonderful is that? Additionally, I don't have much information on that branch of the tree, so I am hoping she will have photographs and stories to tell. Wouldn't that be a hoot?

No comments:

Post a Comment