Thursday, February 26, 2015

Bastille Day 1918

I believe I made a mistake earlier, thinking that Jane Parker was Russell Parker's sister in this post. According to the 1900 Federal Census, Russell had two sisters, Ida and Kathryn. Unfortunately, I have no clue what might have happened to to this mentioned sister. However, I do know that both of Russell and cousin Edith's children died relatively young, Howard at only 16 and Ruth at 25. Very sad. I believe Howard always had a weak heart - at least that is what I believe my 3rd cousin/Chas' great grandson Chuck told me.

The day following the writing of this letter, Herb and his Section 580 leave Bussy le Chateau, Marne and spend the next month in Suippes.



July 14, 1918
Dear Mother,
It’s Sunday again almost before I had realized it. The days seem very long, but strangely enough, the weeks seem very short. They can’t be any too short for me.

This is the French National holiday so I suppose everyone will be celebrating.

I had a letter from Dad this week, enclosing a letter from Aunt Ida. Too bad about Russell Parker’s sister, wasn’t it. I met her several time at Edith’s and she seemed like a very nice girl. I was glad to hear that Aunt Ida keeps so well. Hope you’ll be able to get down for a week or two.

That package from Wanamaker’s hasn’t put in an appearance yet, though we’ve had a couple of deliveries of second class mail.

There seem to be more Americans around here than ever. I guess they’re settled down here to stay. Hope so.

Tell Dad that if he can manage to send some tobacco I’d like to have it, though I do manage to worry along with what I can pick up at the Y.M.C.A.’s and what I can get from the Commissary. Don’t send an from Wanamaker’s though.

Affectionately,
Herb

I wrote + thanked Ren Fleming, but if Dad sees him have him thank him for me. He may never have gotten my letter.
Herb

No comments:

Post a Comment