Wednesday, August 20, 2014

New York State Military Museum

I only just discovered the web page for this repository of NY military information.
I didn't do much research on the web site, but I did see that I could find both my forebearers, the Kirkpatricks and Wrights who served in the Civil War, in the museum's list of muster roles.
Our family lost one young man, 21, to typhoid, at Fort Monroe. But that young man's relatives through marriage, both called Thomas Wright, served and survived. The elder serving two terms - in his 40s!
I spoke with both a librarian, Jim, and a curator, Chris, and showed them what I have in my possession - mostly discharge papers and such for the senior Thomas L. Wright, but, having his very discombobulated memoirs, they may very well be interested in having his information. My next project will be trying to sort out those writings and also writing the story of Thomas Wright. He was not an officer, so the museum has much less information about the foot soldiers, but if they can know the story of the man, then voila, they are interested. So, a big project, but one I am interested in tackling.

I took some photographs, but mistakenly left my camera at home - so my archaic cell phone had to stand in. It will not be satisfactory, but it's all I had.

The museum is housed in the old Armoury at Saratoga Springs, NY




The museum starts in the French & Indian War, but their collection really begins with the Civil War. They had a bit on WWI, so I had to capture some of what what they have. This display is about the medical corps, so this is the type of thing surrounding Herb.



I did find a piece of history from the 169th - the regiment in which a Kirkpatrick relative can be found. I am sorry that the photograph is not good and I can't recall what the yellow lettering said.


4 comments:

  1. Leather Pocketbook, Brevet Major and Captain Edwin R. Smith, Co. K, 169th New York Volunteers.

    KIRKPATRICK, ANDREW S. – Age, 21 years. Enlisted, September 5, 1862, at Lansingburgh, to serve three years; mustered in as private, Co. K, One Hundred and Sixty-ninth N. Y., October 6, 1862; died of typhoid fever, July 15, 1863, at Chesapeake Hospital, Fort Monroe, Va.

    https://www.facebook.com/pages/169th-NY-Infantry-Regiment-Civil-War/1593075874261070

    http://dmna.ny.gov/historic/reghist/civil/infantry/169thInf/169thInf_Newsletter/169thInf_Newsletter.htm

    - Steven M. Wiezbicki

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, thank you so much, Steven. This as really thoughtful. I have never seen the Facebook Page - that is awesome!

      Delete
  2. Private Andrew S. Kirkpatrick's grave memorial, Oakwood Cemetery, Troy, N.Y.:

    http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GRid=116296552

    Brevet Major and Captain Edwin R. Smith's grave memorial, Oakwood Cemetery, Troy, N.Y.:

    http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GRid=120272934

    - Steven M. Wiezbicki

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I created the findagrave for Andrew Kirkpatrick - thank you for the info on Major Smith. That is terrific information to have!

      Delete