Sunday, February 22, 2015

Furloughs have started...

According to the History Channel nothing of import is going on the week of June 23rd in 1918.

June 23, 1918
Dear Mother,
I rather expected a letter from you this week but the mail man comes empty-handed every day.

There’s nothing new around here. The sector continues very quiet – for which I’m not a bit sorry. The weather is clear enough but quite cool – much cooler than it is at home this time of year.

Friday marked the end of a year in the army for most of the Section so we celebrated with an extra-good dinner and a sort of party afterwards. I didn’t enjoy the party much myself because it made me think of the ones the gang used to have at school and likewise those we used to have at 193 Sterling Place, sometimes in the evening.

Our permissions, or furloughs, have started, though I don’t know just when mine will come. We get seven days, exclusive of travelling time, which makes a nice little vacation.

Somehow I can’t think of anything to write that will get by the censor. Keep me posted as to how Harry is making out. I’m interested.
Love,
Herb

No comments:

Post a Comment