Wednesday, November 12, 2014

New Orleans, Genealogy & Fiber Art

I was walking down Magazine Street in New Orleans when I saw a couple dresses in the window of an Optometrist. And they were spectacular dresses - silver silk painted with images of Paris, if I remember correctly. Drew me right in. A very nattily dressed man with fabulous frames and maybe even white buckskin shoes was standing outside. He and I started chatting and he was incredibly friendly. I mentioned this stroll down Magazine earlier in my post here as I discussed Theordore B. Starr silver.

I'm afraid this happened in March of this year, so I don't remember all the details, but it made an impression on me. That is when I learned that New Orleans has a burgeoning fashion week - which in 2014 was in March. But I digress.

I was charmed by the fashion and I was charmed by the artist's name - Starr Hagenbring. Starr claims that she is not aware of having Starr as a family name in her family; in fact, it was a family friend from Philadelphia, if I recall. So, drawn in by that too....


One can see the art in Ms. Hagenbring's creations - they are magnificent pieces.


Ms. Hagenbring loves silk organza - a fabric I have not yet screwed up the courage to use.


Here one can see some of the painting she does on the fabric.

She is a spectacular artist with studios in both New Orleans and New York City.

No comments:

Post a Comment