Wednesday, November 5, 2014

Washington Craft Show held 10/31 - 11/2/2014

I attended the craft show on Saturday at the absolutely enormous Washington Convention Center. What a fun day.

This area of town has changed significantly since the new convention center was built. New restaurants have opened and much more residential exists. Developers have torn down some of the old brick and brownstone urban fabric, which is a shame, but to see the renewed hustle and bustle is nice.

The Craft Show is organized by Crafts America, LLC out of Greens Farms, CT. This is a juried show, so the crafts are top quality, not kitchy. I have seen some artists from the Cherry Creek show in Denver, the Bethesda Arts Festival in Bethesda, Maryland and the Bayou City Arts Festival in Houston. Fun to see where the artists show and how they get around.



I confess, as I wondered around I had my eye on the fiber artists - and most were clothing - but there were some other interesting crafts which caught my eye; for example a guy out of Michigan who weaves glass and a woman who makes pins and other statement jewelry out of heirloom or estate pieces. I will share their cards and maybe a little of their stories later.

My local NPR station - WAMU - was a sponsor of the show.

No comments:

Post a Comment