Wednesday, November 19, 2014

Heirloom Pieces of Jewelry

I have chatted about things that I have that were once owned by family members and not knowing what to do with them. I have discussed the problems of shadow boxes and silver here. Well, I have found a solution for pieces of jewelry which seem dated, not timeless.

Marianne Hunter made a presentation at the Washington Craft Show. Given I was not looking for jewelry at the show, I was very happy that I listened to her present what she does. I will confess that I do not love her 'Kabuki Kachinas' - but they are precious, beautiful pieces of art. You can see one standing on top of a beautiful wooden vase created by her husband - William Hunter. Marianne is primarily an enamelist, but she also works in gold and precious gems - and gems which she takes from estate jewelry.

Ms. Hunter indicted that she will do commissions - so an old piece of family jewelry can be re-imagined into something current and also meaningful. She indicated that for one commission she took several family pieces and incorporated them in to a collar for a client - using her enameling skills to tell the story of the current family.


I took this from her web page. This shows a piece she made from a client's pin - she made the rest around the original pin which one can see in the heart of the piece.


Here is an example of her Kabuki Kachina - but I guess this one's colors spoke to me more than some of the others, though they are all exquisite.


This is her card - but it shows a piece of gold from World War I illustrating the need to are for the orphans left behind because of the war. She used diamonds to hold the medal in to place.

I loved her solution to estate or old fashioned jewelry.

No comments:

Post a Comment