Wednesday, August 27, 2014

Fort Ticonderoga and Shoe & Boot making

I mentioned how the folks at Fort Ticonderoga do all the research and then make many of the things they use as if they were living in the time period. Well, that includes their shoes. I was so surprised to be standing in front of a shoe maker in 2014. I am particularly interested in this craft at the moment because I have discovered that one of my ancestors - born in the early 1800's - came to America after having been indentured to a boot maker in Ireland. The shoes being made at For Ticonderoga in 2014 represent the craft from about 50 years earlier than the craft that my ancestor may have learned in Ireland.


here one can see some of the tools - lasts and some of the various leather

Unfortunately, the shoemaker was not making anything while I was standing in front of him. He did answer some questions, but he seemed a little distracted, I will confess.



This pair of shoes is being made for someone who is particularly hard on their soles.


More examples of shoes made at the Fort.


No comments:

Post a Comment