Wednesday, June 4, 2014

Library of Congress

I had a day without appointments so I decided to check out the Library of Congress to see what they had which might help me with my research. It seems that since November they have closed the genealogy reading room and have combined that collection with Main Reading room. I was sorry to hear it, and of course one must request any books be bought from the closed stacks. Luckily, if one has a researchers card, one can go on-line and reserve ahead of time at home. Given that it can take quite a bit of time to get any books from the stacks, that is a nice feature.

They do have some of the reference books available to the public; bring your sweater, though, as they keep the stacks appropriately cool.

The main reading room is spectacular and my photographs do not do it justice.



For what I was seeking, though, I will head back to the National Archives; there they have volunteer genealogists and the stacks are warmer.

No comments:

Post a Comment