Saturday, June 21, 2014

Artists in the family

I wonder where sister Olive is, camp, maybe? No way to know.

Herb seems so generous with his younger brother, Harry. I do know that Harry became an artist of sorts. I have one large, slightly faded, watercolor of his that I got when Olive died. Though Harry does seems to be at loose ends, having a tough time making some decisions about his life.

Herb tried his hand at drawing, too, actually. It looks as though he copied images out of magazines. This is one that I framed and have hanging in my office:


Looks like Herb was interested in fiber arts, too - or pretty women, I suppose.... ;)

Wednesday, August 1, 1917

Dear Mother,

I got your letter safely yesterday but have been too busy + tired to write. We left Allentown Monday and are now in a semi-permanent camp about ten miles from Allentown. We are living in tents and I’m not awfully keen about it. Yesterday was I think the hottest day I ever remember. The thermometer touched 103 in the shade. We hiked all morning and I layed [sic] around in my underwear in the shade the rest of the day and still couldn’t get cool. We are supposed to go on hikes every day and return at night. That’s easier than breaking camp every day. The food is cooked on field kitchens but is very good – really better than we got in Allentown. This morning I have been on a detail to get water for the kitchen. We had to bring it a half a mile on trucks. it also rained hard for an hour and a half so everything except the clothes I had on is wet. But they’ll soon dry up.

I had a letter from Olive today. She says she is having a fine time.

I’m really glad that Harry didn’t go in the Navy, and that he’s going to Photography school in the fall. Of course my money from the firm is his. Have him write me more of his plans. I should think he might be best board over in Sterling Place. It’s reasonable and they’ll take good care of him. If he thinks he will I’ll write him a letter of introduction.

There are about a thousand of us here in this camp. How long will be here I don’t know, Reveille is at 4:45 AM and taps at 9:00 PM. I ought to be healthy – I never sweat so much before in my life. Mail is brought here three times a day from Allentown…
[letter torn and remainder missing.]

No comments:

Post a Comment