Wednesday, June 18, 2014

Anticipating a quick visit with Mom

As I was driving home from Maine last week I saw signs for Bridgeport.... it made me smile and almost prolong my trip home. I have never been there. On that note, driving to Boston from NYC, though, I did drive near New Rochelle. I wish I had stopped there for a visit. I need to make a plan for that - for now I have found family on both sides - maternal and paternal - who lived in New Rochelle.

I guess I should figure no Sunday letter in mid to late July, as he will be home. That should help my chronology puzzle.

Wednesday, July 18, 1917

Dear Mother,

I have just heard from Grace and she wants Karolyn and I to come see them Sunday but hasn’t any place to put us over Saturday night as the spare room isn’t furnished. That’s all right but something went wrong at the other end and Karolyn isn’t going to Bridgeport yet awhile. As far as I can gather it’s something to do with a school out west which she is trying to secure for the fall.

I put in an application for two days leave before I knew all this and I had to fight with the commandant to get it. He warned me that it would be the last I could ever hope to get before leaving so I’m coming home. I’ll leave here Friday evening early and will probably be in Troy early Saturday morning – about two o’clock or so. I hadn’t thought of coming up yet because I thought that later I’d be able to get four or five days. According to the latest advices from headquarters here we won’t be here but a very short time now. We get practice hikes every other day – five or six miles. Our battalion – six sections – is already organized and will be ready to leave I think within a month. Whether will go to France or Russia I don’t know. It may be either. I do wish I had more time but I can stay until about noon Sunday and I want to see you all before I leave for good.

We have a new lieutenant for Section 80. Who should it be by “Lub” Allen a Phi Delt from Syracuse who graduated from Liberal Arts before my time but whom I knew quite well. They are filling up the sections to 45 men. The new men are all nice chaps in our sections and several of the rough necks have transferred so I’m going to stick with section 80.

I have a strained leg – it’s the tendon just above my heel but I expect it will be all right in a few days. Outside of that I’m as healthy as a mule. You’ll see for yourself.

If you haven’t sent me that money by the time you get this keep till I arrive. I have enough to get home on.

So I’m afraid you’ll have me waking you up early Saturday AM.

Until then, good bye,
Herbert

P.S. If I don’t arrive as I plan you’ll know that I’ve been called out in the meantime on one of these six day hikes. That will cancel my leave.
Herb

No comments:

Post a Comment