Wednesday, October 15, 2014

Cold Spell and Encouraging News about the War

Who is Mrs. Nial? She gets mentioned again in later letters.

What the heck job does Harry have? Dang, why can't Herb be more forthcoming?

A search of the New York Times offers us some insight in to what Herb is talking about with the latest war news.

Sunday
Dear Mother,

The cold spell seems to have broken here and I hope the warmer weather last for a time. There has been no shortage of coal here so far as I know, but it’s been pretty uncomfortable just the same. Still, I guess we were about as well off as many people in and near New York. According to all accounts some of them had a pretty hard time.

By the way, Mother, don’t worry about those cigarettes Aunt Ida sent me. I’m laying off them for the time being at least. So far I’ve only smoked about ten of them and that’s less than one per day.

I am writing today to say my thanks for those things I got from the church. I should have done it before, but I’ve been awfully lazy this last week. It seems as if the less I have to do the less I want to do.

The war news lately is more encouraging isn’t it? I almost can hope that the Russians may reenter the war. And there certainly is a growing dissatisfaction among the German people and among her allies.

Harry’s job this week must have been a pretty stiff one – with the thermometer well below zero.

I never expected to see the day when the Shanghnuessy’s would offer $5 a day for men on the ice. It seems to me that @2 or $2.25 used to be thought a lot. I guess those days are gone for good.

Remember me to Mrs. Nial if you see her and tell her I was sorry not to have seen her.

Love to all,
Herb


No comments:

Post a Comment