Friday, October 31, 2014

Moving up to the Front

No letter between the February 20th and the March 15th letters... seems like an awful long time not to 'visit' with his parents.

Sixth Avenue is his home in Troy, NY.

I have no idea who Hugh Rankin is or what he is doing in Paris.

Herb explains his situation to his parents here, which is nice to understand better. He is in Prouilly, I believe. He passed through Charters, Le Mans, Saint Martin d'Ablois, Meaux, Fort Vanves, and Versailles, on the way here.

Herb's Ambulance group is attached to the French 71st Division. I should do some research on them, shouldn't I?

What is up with Harry? Funny to read all this and then think of what I know about Harry as a man - which isn't much, but still. To hear about what a tough time he was having as a young man is funny.

I wonder what he knows about the Japanese.... and I didn't know he read French.


March 15 (1918)
Dear Mother,

This finds my travelling around finished for a while at least. We made our trip by automobile from our first camp to this place very safely. I saw quite a bit of French country on the way but I’d be willing [sic] trade it all for a look up Sixth Ave. We were located outside Paris for several days and though I wanted very much to go see that Pal of Hugh Rankin’s I couldn’t make it.

We are now in a small French village just back of the lines on what is at present at least a fairly quiet section of front. All our work from now on is of course with the French Army. At present the French Division to which Section 580 is attached is ‘en repos’ as they call it – resting. When it goes up to the Front we will move up nearer too, though we will of course be back of the lines a bit.

Had my first letter a few days ago and I surely was glad to see Dad’s familiar handwriting. It’s rotten luck about Harry but the only thing is of course for him to quit it. However don’t let him worry about it. I of course don’t know anything about this Bissell school but it would be well to make inquiries first – after the other unavoidable fiasco. At any rate don’t hesitate to call my resources. They’re yours. I had just gotten down to hard pan when the Q.M. came across with some money for us. We are paid now in francs and since the franc has depreciated in New York a month’s salary is (or looks to be) larger than before.

The place we now have was formerly filled by an old American Field Ambulance Section now in the U.S.A.A.S. they started back to a rest camp as we moved up so we passed them on the road. Someone yelled :Hello Herb” and there was Herb Blake passing in a car. We both stopped and shook hands + chatted for a moment. I hardly knew him – he looked like a tramp but good and healthy. He said young Lavin from the “burgh” was in the section, too, but I didn’t see him. It was a former “Syracuse” section but I’ve been away so long that I didn’t know any of them.

I haven’t heard from Karolyn yet but have hopes. Now that we have a definite stopping point the mail comes more frequently and I expect it will be fairly regular from now on.

As for my health – well there’s nothing to worry about in that. I’m getting so disgracefully fat that I’ve had to request a new uniform because the same uniform that I wore home Christmas can’t be persuaded to button around me now. I must have gained more than ten pounds since New Years.

Spring is going to be here soon. Already the days are much warmer and overcoats have been abandoned.

I’ve just one request to make. Once a week or so I wish you’d send me a New York paper and perhaps the “Post”. Now that we’re with the French, reading matter is scarce as hen’s teeth, and I’m certain you must know more about the war than I though I’m only about ten miles away from it. I read the French papers now and again but there’s little news in them. I’d certainly like to get the inside dope on this Japanese scheme.

As ever,
Your affectionate son,
Herb


Happy Halloween, dear readers.

No comments:

Post a Comment