Friday, October 10, 2014

Rain & Dugouts....

Aha, maybe we now know why Herb sent the picture of the shelf.... I have included it again.

And, wow, they had to dig out their own tents. Not sure I understand that. But, all part of history, so good to know. See the photos at the end of the letter.

That Aunt Birdella again - I have a picture of her, but no idea who she is. Is Aunt just a title of respect or is there blood there?





Sunday 1917
Dear Mother,

Your Thursday letter arrived yesterday noon while I was in the throes of moving. Thursday night we had that same thunder storm that you had in Troy, I guess. It rained cats and dogs most of the evening + some of the men got pretty well soaked. A number of them in our battalion had chosen very poor places for their dugouts so far as drainage was concerned and as a result their homes looked like cesspools. We four were pretty dry in our place, however, except for a little drip around the edges. Friday, of course, everything was a sea of mud so we in Battalion 19 and 20 had to move. We have a nice ravine now with dugouts cut back in the side and built up and roofed over with sod. Really very comfortable and much warmer than the old place, as well as dry. The men who were here didn’t suffer at all Thursday night so I guess we’re safe because I don’t believe it could rain much harder. We have two double bunks, the lower a foot above the floor and the upper three feet from that. They’re made of sapling and with our straw mattresses on top are really quite comfortable.

I knew there was something wrong with that candy because it was too soft but it was eaten just the same and the bread certainly tasted good.

I’m writing Charley today.

I’m inclined to think that I may perhaps have about a week around Christmas though I shan’t know definitely for a week or two I suppose.

Karolyn is well and quite happy, taking on a little flesh which worries her. In her last letter she mentioned that she has been given an opportunity to learn how to take X-ray pictures as well as assist in the process. She seems quite pleased over it.

Friday night it turned colder and last night a scum of ice formed quite across the little river near the camp.

I did write and thank Aunt Birdella for the pictures but I’ll try and write again this week some time.

The four of us have chipped in and bought a small lamp to brighten the evenings and what with a roaring fire the place is quite comfortable. I’ll probably have some pictures of the place to show you.

Love,
Herbert

P.S. What about the coat? Do get it.
Herb


No comments:

Post a Comment