Tuesday, June 3, 2014

There weren't any quitters in the family during the Civil War


I have been tracking the Lee family, though I don't actually know when they arrived in the US; I have hit a brick wall there. I do know, however, that the Kirkpatricks fought in the Civil War - arriving around 1830, before the Irish potato famine. I only just discovered the Wrights - Oliver Tree's mother-in-law's family. I haven't yet done that research, but I did find some Wrights living with Martha and Charles Kirkpatrick in Troy, hence how I discovered the name.

The central monument in the Kirkpatrick plot has a Civil War style cap on it. I was proud when one of the historians at the Rensselear Historical Society indicated that when she does her Civil War walk of Oakwood Cemetery she always passes by that memorial. One of the Kirkpatricks - Andrew, Jr. - fought and died in the War. His body was first buried in Virginia, but a fellow 'Burgher (Lansingburgh, the former name for Upper Troy), brought his remains with those of a few other young 'chaps' home to be buried. Andrew served with the 169th Regiment, New York Infantry, Company K. Story of his return was in the Lansingburgh Gazette on October 20, 1864.



In that attic stash I found some old unlabeled photographs of Civil War soldiers.


The boy looks very young; the other might be Andrew. I wish they were labeled.

I wonder how much discussion of the Kirkpatrick and Wright participation in the Civil War there was when Herb was growing up. Obviously by his comment, the family was proud of having done 'their duty'. And obviously at any family burial the family would have seen the tall central monument and had reason to discuss the family members already buried there. (I just wish I had more of that discussion!)

No date provided

Dear Mother,

This letter is private – just for you. For Heaven’s sake don’t worry yet. No one knows so far what will be done. I don’t know what the firm will do but I am confident that they’ll be pretty willing to let me go + keep my job for me. And anyway I could get another just as good. Charlie’s department is being enlarged greatly + I am confident he would do something for me. The other part of it will be all right, too. If there is a call I’ll be on the list of course. But it will take nine months to train me, anyway. And there’s no reason why I shouldn’t go. I’m perfectly normal and we’ve been Americans for a good many years you know. There weren’t any quitters in the family during the Civil War + and there isn’t going to be now. It’s only fair that we young unmarried chaps should be called first. If the call comes I shall present myself at once + if they want to take me I’ll be ready. At the most it means losing a year and I’m awfully young yet. Anyway, don’t worry, it will be all right.

Lovingly,
Herbert

No comments:

Post a Comment