Tuesday, June 17, 2014

Montana Bison Wool

A little break from Herb as I transcribe and sort more of his letters. This is a blog called Spinning a Yarn under a Family Tree, so I do need to remember to put in a little bit about the yarn....

Last year I visited Montana and was fortunate enough to find a yarn shop in downtown Bozeman - very near the café where I imbibed a cappuccino with goat milk; I don't think I will do that again. Though an enthusiastic coffee drinker, I don't seem to have a palate for a blend of goat's milk and espresso.

Back to the yarn....


I once read that bison fiber is collected from the ground - obviously one can not shear from a wild animal - but this booklet which accompanies the yarn indicates that they have been harvesting the downy fiber from the hides of meat animals. I can't quite imagine the meeting of weavers and knitters with the abattoir.... But, the booklet indicates that 'once the fiber is sheared the hide is sold to be tanned and made into leather goods.' I guess the hides would go to waste and it's easier to shear a motionless hide than to collect fiber in the middle of the plain....

I purchased two 3.5 oz skeins of the wool - and, yes, $68 per skein. In this case I am using the Bison Cloud which is a 50/50 blend of bison and alpaca. This yarn is so wonderfully soft. The spinners suggest using it for items around the face because of it's delicious texture. I would agree.

I am knitting a very simple scarf pattern I picked up in Vermont from Battenkill Fibers. And so far only 2 mistakes which I have tried to correct, but that is not yet a skill I have mastered. I said this was a blog about fiber art, I didn't say I was any good at it!


My husband has asked that I never make anything for him. His reasoning is that he never wants to feel obligated to wear it. Sounds cruel, but I understand. I wonder if my brothers feel the same, as they may be getting scarves for Christmas this year (if I finish by then).

No comments:

Post a Comment